Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Costal's Guide to College Textbook Purchases


A few people asked me about buying textbooks for college...so instead of writing seperate e-mails, I decided to write a few tips right here on the good old blog.

First, how to: Most colleges follow the same system for purchasing textbooks: Print out your schedule, go to the bookstore. Look for your course number and professor name on the racks. All of the required books will be available on a shelf with your professor's name and the course number.

Pros & Cons to text shopping:

Few upperclassmen purchase books BEFORE the 1st day of the course because they assess the importance of owning the book based on the syllabus. If the book is only used for one week of the course, they may try to share one with someone else, check with someone they know who took the course. For instance, many sororities and fraternities keep files of notes on textbooks, so some brothers and sisters avoid purchasing books (or in some cases even writing papers
: ( --makes me a sad panda--altogether.

Some students use discount or used book resources online to avoid the high prices at college bookstores. The downside of this comes if you are receiving grant, loan or scholarship money that can be applied to a bookstore, but not a third party vendor.

Waiting can be a tricky strategy because bookstores DO RUN OUT of books, though profs are usually sympathetic to this as they understand the perils of collegiate bookstores. Waiting also greatly increases the possibility of needing to buy books new rather than used. ALWAY choose a used book if available. Very often they already contain annotations. Sometimes, if an idiot owned the book before you, it can be distracting, so thumb through it at the bookstore before making a purchase. Otherwise, the savings is phenomenal, but buyer beware...college texts are like cars, as soon as you drive them off the lot, value plummets.

I do not recommend to my students that they trade in textbooks. It's a suckers bet. The pittance you receive is not worth it. Now I know the allure is hard to resist when you are flat broke and fiending for a Starbucks, but try. Old texts are much more valuable as future reference or barter fodder, especially within your major.

I am Joe Costal...and THAT's one to grow on!

5 comments:

  1. you're welcome for the idea, mr professor! XD
    my roommate has you too! just a different time haha. so what exactly is the book i'll need? unless you recommend waiting until after classes start to see if someone else has it or it's worth buying. thanks a bunch for the advice the though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No General...for MY class, buy books early and often :) We will be using the Reluctant Fundamentalist, the Stockton common reading, rules for writers by Diana Hacker and The Brieft and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. For some insights on the class, check out my summer blog at www.costalwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting has always been my style. Most lecture classes I took are 100% class notes and online readings. The text books help supplement the knowledge and may even have suggested reading but over all have little to do with the over all course. In these cases usually attendance is where the teacher puts their full attention rather than learning outside of the class. Of course there are always papers so having a book can help but as long as you keep fairly decent notes you'll be fine. I Also I never ran into a situation that a little time digging through the library's online catalog, couldn't find me reliable source for papers. I still have all my text books and even reused them for courses down the line for resources or review. If you plan on selling your text books, sell the ones you'll never have a class in ever again. For instance I'm a Film major. A pre calculus book won't be much use since I only need one math class. However my introduction to film book will be helpful later in my college experience since I'll be taking film all 4 years. That's about it. I hope everyone's ready for school again... I know I'm not >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhh thanks paul! i'm doing performing arts/theatre so all the scripts i have to order and stuff i should definitely keep haha. i won't take a math course till next semester (and hopefully never again), so i'll sell that in heartbeat. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks costal, you should just be the AP College teacher at oakcrest haha

    ReplyDelete