Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Most Disturbing Movie? Or The Most Heroic?

I know this is sort of random…but i have to let you guys know about this horrible clip that i saw on youtube. I'm not going to post the video because it was WAY to graphic, so I'll just explain it.

It’s called Watership Down it’s an old 70’s movie about rabbits in the wild. It’s meant for 8 year olds but…i don’t even think its suitable for adults. I watched a clip of it on youtube and I wanted to cry…it was absolutely horrible.

I’ll just tell you about clip I saw first… when it first comes on it’s playing Marylin Manson’s Sweet Dreams and there is a shot of the rabbit’s eye then you see another rabbit watch another one be taken by a hawk. After that there are bunnies being gassed and their heads float around in the most disturbing way. You just sit and watch the bunnies eye clench and roll back in their heads just for one last gasp for air. I started crying at this part… After that there are more rabbits in a tunnel and two of them start fighting, the one has it throat ripped out while the other bunnies hide in fear. Shortly after bunnies are shown tearing apart another helpless rabbit. Then there are shots of birds taking the bunnies and a cat shredding up a bunny and a dog chasing the rabbits…catches one then throws it up in the air a chews it up. Finally there is this scene where a rabbit is struggling to hold on to its life…where it is greeted by a bunny ghost..and there it dies and you watch its soul leave it’s body…and the bunny ghost skip around in the air, on their way to the promised land…All of these shots where GRAPHIC!

and what makes it worse is the fact that it’s animated and it’s rated PG

http://www.impawards.com/1978/posters/watership_down.jpg
http://www.premiere.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/watership-down/594921-1-eng-US/watership-down.jpg
^
All of the above was written when i had only seen the clip on youtube...but the movie is so different from that. Yes that violence does occur but the movie is not about the killing of bunnies. That clip was extremely misleading. The youtube clip had me crying because it was so awful but the movie had me crying because it was such a heroic journey. All of the horrible shots in the youtube clip all happen, it's just that there is legitimate reasoning for the event( if that makes any sense) I don't want to ruin the movie, but I'll give you an example. The runt bunny has this vision (the gassing of the bunnies) that all of the rabbits in their warren is going to be killed, so he warns the chief but the chief ignores him. So the runt rabbit got a group of rabbits together and they left the warren, thus starting their adventure to Watership Down.I have to say I really liked Watership Down! And I really think all of you should watch it!( You can always fast forward the violent parts) If you don't have Netflicks(or something along those lines) Watership Down may be extremely hard to find. So if you really want to watch it, you can get Netficks(or something along those lines) or you can wait for the remake to come out in 2012 or 2013.

So basically what I'm trying to say is don't judge a movie based on gossip you hear or see. You never know how you'll feel about it until you see it yourself. Remember Paranormal Activity? Half the class said it was the scariest movie ever and the other half said it sucked. So who do you believe? You guessed it! No one, you go see it yourself.


P.S. As much as I like this movie, I still don't think it should be PG. It is NOT a kids movie.

3 comments:

  1. don't let vanilla weis hear about this....or his paychecks will be transferred from the dolphin fund to a rabbit fund.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting point Camille. I remember we watched this movie in school when I was waaaaay too young. Really goes to show how much things change. Young people are treated much younger for much longer than they were in my day. But Watership is beautiful, albeit difficult to stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Watership Down story, it was one of my favorites to read a few years back. it is a tad gruesome at parts, but remains an endearing story. i just never heard about the movie though... this is something Stumpy must look into and watch.... <3

    ReplyDelete