Monday, January 24, 2011

The Falcon's Official Oscar Predictions

The Falcon has landed on guilded Oscar Eve to give all the good little boys and girls of the Oak (that means the only sleepers are gonna be some of the Falcon's picks...oh schnap!)  FI a bevvy of predictions for tomorrow's contenders. They are listed in the order of the Falcon's preference.

Best Picture: 
1. The Social Network
2. The King's Speech
3. Toy Story 3
4. Black Swan 
5. Inception
6. Winter's Bone
7. The Fighter
8. Blue Valentine
9. The Kids Are Alright
10. True Grit

The obvious omissions here are Danny Boyle's 127 Hours and Ben Affleck's The Town. I think Oscar will snub Big Ben, but give Renner the nod more to make ammends for The Hurt Locker passover. I think the Academy will also not allow Weinstein's canvassing be for naught, but will let Boyle's adaptation slip through the cracks. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

BEST ACTOR:
1. Collin Firth, The King's Speech
2. James Franco, 127 Hours
3. Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
4. Ryan Gosling, Blue Valentine
5. Robert DuVall, Get Low

Bobby D gets the life-long work nod with little sleeper chance. Eisenberg established himself. Franco pushed through to the next level. Gosling's playing the "pleasure to be nominated role." If Firth doesn't win, I'll eat my shoe.

Best Actresses:
1. Natalie Portman, Black Swan
2. Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
3. Annette Benning, Kids...Alright
4. Lesly Manville, Another Year
5. Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole

Perfection from the swan and a weak field, despite a powerhouse performance from newcomer Lawrence, makes it speech time for  Portman and her baby bump. Now...supporting's where I wanna get silly.

Best Supporting Actor:
1. Andrew Garfield, Social Network
2. Christian Bale, The Fighter
3. Jeremy Renner, The Town
4. Justin Timberlake, The Social Network
5. Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech

Why two nods from Social Network? The acting was under-rated. The film will win the big prize, best director and screenplay, but it will also merit not only one but two supporting standouts. Garfield will upset Bale, and Timberlake will slip into the nomination to help Oscar with his new, "hey, look at me, I'm hip, I'm jiggy" rep.

Best Supporting Actress:
1. Melissa Leo, The Fighter
2. Mila Kunis, Black Swan
3. Haliee Stenfield, True Grit
4. Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech
5. Barbara Hershey, Black Swan

Melissa Leo is the front runner, and once again proves the predictability of Oscar's affinity for past performances (i.e. Frozen River)...I like the sleepers here: Stenfeld, Hershey and Kunis...though none of them could wind up in the race just as easily. Carter will be easy to pass by.

Happy Oscars Day!




8 comments:

  1. http://gyazo.com/7d1f5c565b8f957957cc0c73c21f4491.png

    I've got a post-it on my desktop to keep track of my oscar-nominated movie viewings.

    I've seen a few already but I am determined to see them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw all except: The Fighter, 127 Hours (which I think we'll do in class) & True Grit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of the ones on your list, Bibberz...see King's next. Touching. Excellent performances. Pretty much has the entire cast of Harry Potter. Look for Wormtail as Churchill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you will be eating your shoe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Y? They gonna award it to the cast of Fight Club?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Franco should get it. The range required to be stationary for 60 minutes and still keep me entertained is ridiculous. if franco doesnt get it, eisenburg should be next in line because another fincher film got snubbed back in 1999 when it didnt even get a nod. i have yet to The Kings Speech, but im going with my gut on this one. just saying

    ReplyDelete
  7. theres supposed to be a "see" in there somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I've got an idea! We should watch 127 Hours AND The King's Speech in class :) That would be fantastic. Possibly The Fighter as well? These are hard economic times, I can't be spending money frivolously at the movie theater when I could enjoy movies from the comfort of your classroom for free!

    ReplyDelete