Saturday, February 25, 2012

Falcon's Best Director/Best Actor

Falcon is whack???? What!? How dare you?! Whack? Seriously? 1987 called and wants its insult back.

And what's this business about the Falcon being Joe Costal? I gave that joker a "Falcon Punch" just for the comparison. If you have yet to receive a Falcon punch...it can be aranged...sike! But my talons are rather bodacious...darn you 80s slang...infectious like the spanish flu. And by that I mean it only infects characters who are inconvenient to plot progression (Little Downton Abbey humor for ya!).



In the New York Times, YA queen Judy Blume said the following about Tree of Life:

I can tell you the ones on the list, I did love “The Descendants,” and I liked “The Help.” I loved “Midnight in Paris,” I loved “Moneyball,” I enjoyed “War Horse.” The only one that truly made me furious was “Tree of Life.” I don’t like pretension, and I found it very pretentious. [But] you know what I liked about that movie? I loved the little family drama that was inside it, the scene of Jessica Chastain jumping on the bed with the little boys when the husband was out of town. I thought, this is the movie I wish I was here seeing.


Oh Judy...you've been looking into my soul since I was a Fourth Grade Nothing...

Now on to the picks...

BEST DIRECTOR: I think I made my case pretty clear in the last post.

The Falcon picks: ALEXANDER PAYNE, for THE DESCENDENTS
Who will win: MICHAEL HAZANAVICIUS. Who does deserve a ton of credit for getting a film like this off the ground in a Hollywood where teenage wizards, teenage vampires, teenage pirates, teenage werewolves and robots that eat teenagers round out the highest grossing films. That's why my new film about a teenage leprechaun who is married to a teenage mermaid, but then the mermaid gets amnesia and has to try and fall in love with the leprechaun all over again although she is being courted by a pack of teenage unicorn (starring Lucky from Lucky Charms, Katy Perry and Sir Ben Kingsley) will be a smash.
Who got hosed: MIKE MILLS...BEGINNERS (see last post)

BEST ACTOR:

The Falcon picks: JEAN DUJARDIN
Who will win: JEAN DUJARDIN

Ok, although I expounded the virtues of George Clooney in the previous post, but the year belongs to JEAN DUJARDIN. His face, yes, just his face...his smile, his eyes...carried THE ARTIST. His expressions infused it with more charm and grace than Weisback riding a lion.

His performance set a tone. It communicated an ease of manner. He was having fun, and his performance invited the audience to join. A great performance feels "live." Like the artist is there in the room with the audience.

Hollywood has been calling THE ARTIST "a love letter to its past." DUJARDIN was the love. The last time an actor so captivated me with a single performance was Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone. 

The Falcon picks: JEAN DUJARDIN
Who will win: JEAN DUJARDIN
Who got hosed: Michael Fassbender...look into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment