Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Walking Dead's Debt to George Romero and RiffTrax Live is coming to Mays Landing!

In anticipation of The Walking Dead's 4th season, Rolling Stone magazine is posting an interview with a cast member daily. Yesterday's interview with executive producer and special effects make-up consultant Greg Nicotero focuses on the producer's relationship with George Romero, the director of Night of the Living Dead:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/greg-nicotero-walking-dead-owes-a-lot-to-george-romero-20131012

*     *     *
As you may have already determined, Mr. Weisback and I are in the midst of an on-going debate over which film is superior: Night of the Living Dead or Dawn of the Dead. While I readily admit that I prefer Dawn, which is more of an action movie than a traditional horror film, I must begrudgingly admit that Night is the superior film. It transformed the horror genre and influenced countless other films, and as the aforementioned interview indicates, the film is still seen as the zombie watermark. 

My love of Dawn began when I was a student at the Oak. Horror films and gory special effects intrigued me, and when I finally tracked down a worn-out VHS copy of Dawn (Rest in peace, Absecon Video. You are missed.), I was not disappointed. The film is cheesy; yes, I admit, but it is chock-full of zombie mayhem, gore, and rampant attacks on consumerism. It was love at first viewing.



Here's the thing: I love low-budget, B-movies. I remember borrowing my cousin's copy of The Psychotronic Video Guide. It became my bible, and with a highlighter in hand, I began making a list of obscure B-movies that I had to see. 

I can trace my love of "bad" movies to one of my all-time favorite television shows, Mystery Science Theater 3000.


The premise of the show is simple: a man stuck in space with his robot pals is forced to watch the worst movies ever made. To keep his sanity, he and his robot companions relentlessly mock the cinema garbage they are forced to consume. The show is off the air, but the creators live on, producing Riff Trax. 

On Thursday, October 24th, our local Regal Theater is hosting a live Riff Trax for Night of the Living Dead.

Clark is going!



2 comments:

  1. I know I'm going against the grain, but I really don't think dawn is good. Its cheesy, I couldn't care whether the characters lived or died- I think night is so much better on every level. It comments on race, human nature, and I really liked Ben. It ties in nicely with all the social issues going on in '68.

    ReplyDelete