Thursday, October 30, 2008

Kubrick... genius or GENIUS?

As a quick response to Alexander Peralejo's blog, I would just like to point out another film that everyone in the Oakcrest Film Institute should (definitely) watch, and then quickly add to their 'Movies' list on Facebook called, '2001: A Space Odyssey'. This Academy-Award winning film is not only mind blowing, with its spectacular visual effects and brilliantly-written screenplay, but it can also act as a catalyst for your inner-most thoughts... with so many undetermined meanings, answers, and thought provoking questions, it is a wonder why any of Kubrick's films have yet to be brought up for discussion in or out of class.

Stanley Kubrick is the mastermind-of-a-director who also wrote and produced films such as 'A Clockwork Orange', 'The Shining', 'Full Metal Jacket', and 'Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb' (and some other joint with Tom Cruise, you know...). So I advise anyone who has not seen his movies to drive to Blockbuster (yes, at 12:06 am) and rent them! And please believe me when I say that they are worth every minute of your time! They will NOT disappoint. Thank you and goodnight.

Here is the opening to '2001': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnmCu3U09w

9 comments:

  1. We will watch this one, Cass...with emphasis on the first half hour

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Clockwork Orange is disturbing in many ways - be prepared. And stay away from milk bars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, I have A Clockwork Orange if you would like to borrow it. Sure it’s a bit disturbing, but it’s a really amazing movie and really plays with your head. Not to the extent of the Truman show, but it’s a bit trippy at times. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it and it’s up in my top ten list of “BEST MOVIES EVER (as voted by Brittany Heiler) lol. So if you want to borrow it, let me know.

    Lol, because the US is FULL of milk bars Weisback

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. but yes (to sam), 'a clockwork' is pretty disturbing, and the first hour or so is like an ultra-violent soft-core snuff film with a beethoven soundtrack, but when its finished you just sit and soak it in and say "....Wow."

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and then (like with any Kubrick film) ten minutes later you say to yourself 'wtF did I just watch?!'and then immediately rack your brain to try to even comprehend the meaning of the dozens of symbolic references and the tens of themes (like 'why in the world were apes the only characters in the first 20 minutes '2001' and why the hell were they playing with that big black block?' or 'Why was HAL sooo nuckin' futs?' or 'why were the soldiers at the end of 'full metal jacket' singing the 'mickey mouse club' theme song?!!) and as stressful as this sounds, it is just the beauty (...the genius!)of Kubrick's work. It forces you to think, it makes you wonder, and it makes you wander. For me, I love movies (and television shows) that make me feel awkward and uneasy, and I think Kubrick does this brilliantly and in such an elegant way that anyone who watches any of his films can not walk out of it without saying 'Wow, that was the most incredible thing I have ever seen' and both 'Wow, that was the most horrifying thing I have ever seen' at the exact same time.

    I can't wait to get into Kubrick's work in class. (: yaya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Full Metal Jacket is awesome! I always recommend this film to potential marine recruits. If you really want to see what being a mindless automaton is really like - check this film out!

    ReplyDelete