Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Memory

So I was sitting in my great-grandmothers (aka Nanny) house for Christmas dinner, something that's been a tradition in my family since before Nanny was even a thought, when random members of my family started to play a game that I used to play when I was just a little grasshopper. I don't know if any of you are familiar with it, but it's called "Huckle Buckle Bean Stock" and what you do is hide a spoon in a random place, but still in the open, and you just run around the house hiding it in different places. It's like hide-and-go-seek, only with a spoon and everyone is looking for it. From what Nanny "Huckle Buckle Bean Stock" was started back when my great-grandma was a child back in the 1930's, during the Great Depression. Her family would always play it on Christmas, or other occasions when the family was together. It's actually quiet fun, and it brings up a lot of fun Christmas memories....

So I'm just wondering, what's a good Holiday Memory you have with your family? Or just a game that you really enjoyed playing as a kid tat you wish you could still play? Or maybe, what's a fun tradition for you?

I've always enjoyed playing Huckle Buckle Bean Stock while watching The Christmas Story... It's not Christmas in the Heiler Household if The Christmas Story isn't playing at some point during the two days.

2 comments:

  1. We have a Christmas pickle that gets hidden our tree each year, and if the boys find it they get a special gift. They haven't found it yet, and they won't, because I am an excellent hider. I never even bought the "special gift" that's how cocky I am about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. costal, what if one daqy yuor kids find it then what will you do? my favorite tradition is when my sisters my dad ands i all get together on christma seve, junk fest, and then finally decorate the tree. I;ve decorated three this year XD only one of them almost fell on me- its was 15 feet tall!!

    ReplyDelete