Sunday, February 8, 2009

In Bruges - Not as advertised


I'm a bit late in seeing this, and I noticed that a majority of the institute seems to be in love with it (for good reason).

First of all, I'd like to point out that the movie I watched was not at all the movie which is advertised in all of the trailers for it. Trailers such as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoE9edjEDCI along with most others for it create the illusion that it's a comedy first, with maybe a bit of action. Colin Farrell is found karate chopping a midget, "ohohoho how hysterical is that," I say to myself. "Let me check this out for a giggle or two."

The giggle or two comes at a price, though, being that the movie itself is tremendously dark. It IS humorous, but essentially it's a tragedy. It's unashamedly politically incorrect, but it does so indiscriminately. The central characters are really reprehensible in their actions & views and hardly distinguishable from the 'bad guys'. Wow - just like in real life.

The movie itself is gorgeous in presentation. Almost every shot is done flawlessly. The characters, Ray (Farrell) and Ken (Gleeson), are both well written and well acted. The depth to the both of them really shows through, as Farrell manages to pull off a selfish brat, a suicidal depressive, and a charming romantic, and make me sympathetic towards each one.

I won't spoil the ending, but I feel that, no matter how over-the-top it was, it was very appropriate. Not only that, but it was totally ambiguous; something I would normally feel annoyed at. In this case, however, it fits perfectly. A happy ending would be out of the question with this story, but I don't think anyone would have supported a sad one.


Opinions, FI?

3 comments:

  1. One of my favorites... probably why I own it haha. I have to say it's writing is perfect and I hope this first time feature film director and SCREENplay writer continues to create pieces of work for our viewing pleasure. See the man who created this wondrous crime film, writes plays. Well horah to the theater and all that but I'd like to be able to see more of his work and not need to go to Europe and pay another $100 or so dollars to watch.

    After watching it the first time my immediate reaction was this Pulp Fiction minus the B movie influences. This is an art major or theater majors baby smoothly crafted with the wit and charm of some of smooth talking cars salesmen. It had it's moments where you want to jump out your seat and scream "NOOOO DON'T DO IT!!!" and yet others where you'll just fall out of your seat with laughter. Colin Ferrel won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Comedy for good reason. He brings life to a character that in most hands wouldn't work. I left wishing he had made a few other amazing films so I could go out and rent them. But sadly some actor one shine when the conditions are perfect.

    Another nice part about this film is that despite half of the ensemble cast of Harry Potter being featured, you don't think about that once during the whole movie... which is nice for me... because I'm not a fan of those films... and in lesser hands the title could have been "Come see Voldemort without makeup... oh yeah Mad-Eye Moody and the French girl are in it too... enjoy"

    A few last comments to finish this comment up. The film knows how to make the real world look fantastical without magic. The final scene has got to be one of my favorite endings, though I am a person who loves ambiguous endings. Lastly, watch the scene when they go into the art house and look at paintings. The one painting they give a good talking about is the inspiration for the art direction of the final scene.

    Final words- Amazing movie and deserves your money so go out and don't just rent it, live on the edge and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm agreeing with you james, and paul said this before, the trailer did no justice to the film, i thought this movie balanced out well, seriousness and humour. paul is right, at times you don't know whether to laugh or not. plus you want to see a midget get karate chopped, it's hilarious. i say, watch this movie, rent it or but it... i'm pretty sure my dad bought it, soo watch it somehow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE "In Bruges".
    And, like everyone else, I believe it was severely misadvertised.
    While I find the movie itself very hysterical at times, it's also a moving, perceptive, & even heartbreaking character study.
    Colin Ferrell gives his best performance to date.
    It should also be said that the film is incredibly violent, which the trailer doesn't even hint at.
    I didn't have a problem with that, but some might.
    "In Bruges" was one of my favorite movies of '08. I definitely hope more people will see it to experience it.

    ReplyDelete