Thursday, January 21, 2010

Avatarrible Golden Globes worse than an episode of the Golden Girls

I hate Avatar. There, I said it. Whew!

I thought seeing it written would make me feel differently, but it hasn't. My sentiments are completely unfounded. I didn't see it. Nor have I seen or felt a special affinity toward any of the other films expected a nomination this year (the only one I saw was Julie and Julia... oh and New Moon of course). I wasn't blown away by the Hurt Locker (hahaha, get it?). I didn't soar over Up in the Air (too much? prob). I haven't even bothered to ON DEMAND Inglorious, but somehow I am utterly aggrevated that Avatar beat these films at the Globes.

Maybe it's that I could see this movie coming a mile away. All flash, no substance. All visual, no cerebral. Since the very first trailer, I felt as if I could relay the storyline to you almost verbatim. Everyone I know and respect, who has seen the film, including many of the loyal bloggers on this site o' ours, has justified my feelings.


Maybe I fear blue people. The characters look cross-bred--the unholy spawn of a tryst between the Blue Man Group and the cast of Cats.

Now I know Cameron innovated for this film big time! I know that industrial upgrades in cinema have not been so blatantly altered since Lucas.  (who incidentally also gets my goat lately), but I kind of, like, don't care. Is that fair?

I shutter to think that this film will provoke blurbs like, "now the rules have changed." I don't want Avatar and Cameron to change the rules of filmmaking this way. I like my movies the way they are, thank-you very much. I don't want CGI everything. I want Ellen Page as Juno. Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and Zach Galifinaka-whatchamacallit as any funny fat guy he so chooses.

If merit were judged on visual innovation, why didn't True Lies (1994) win an Oscar? Why didn't Terminator II: Judgment Day (1991) win? Oh yea, cause the storylines sucked. They were cool movies to watch in the theatre (and I saw them both in one), but they weren't Academy Award films, and you know what? Neither is Avatar. Guess what won Best Picture in 1994? A movie called Forrest Gump. A film that utilized CGI innovatively. A film with great effects, but also great acting and writing. Maybe I want too much. Maybe this is an off year for film. 

If it is a slow year for film, why not nominate Paul Rudd for the comedic performance of the year (yes, I saw the Hangover) in I Love You, Man. Do it, Oscar. Totes McGotes!

Maybe I just don't like that Cameron showed up, copied Robert Downey's sentiment about the music and proceeded to preach to the room about "accepting CGI." To a room full of actors! That's like going to a chamber maid convention and pushing Rosie from The Jetsons on everyone. Like showing up with those mechanized baskets at a toll collector conference. Here's the future everyone...I hope you like crap.

Maybe it's just that Cameron looked like he was on leave from Hogwart's. Maybe it's that he looked like the crazy old guy from Six Feet Under and sounded like John Houseman. I don't know.

Also, Ricky Gervais was a disappointment. Mostly because he got less air time than Vanilla Ice did in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (extra credit for anyone who can name the subline of that gem of a picture). One zinger? At the expense of Mel Gibson. My dog could make fun of Mel Gibson, and he has arthritisis and doesn't speak English.

Anyway, I hope the Academy gets right what the Hollywood foreign press screwed up. Maybe we just don't get them...they're foreign after all. Don't be racist, Clancey.

Oh, and I am not alone. Here.

4 comments:

  1. Costal my sentiments exactly. I haven't seen Avatar. But I haven't seen, heard, or have otherwise been subjected to something that would make me want to see this film. When I talk to people they say how it's Pocahontas but with blue aliens. They don't support seeing this film for any other reason then it looks cool. When people justify seeing it because it's shiny... well we have problem. There is no draw factor with this movie (this goes second for Titanic which I've yet to sit down to watch), so why should I see it when gems like The Player, The Fugitive Kind, and a pile of foreign films sit waiting for me to watch them.

    I've seen True Lies and The Terminator movies, they are awesome but they aren't going to make AFI Top 100. I'm not that into the special effect movies. Actually let me rephrase that, I'm not into CGI based special effects. I love Raiders of the Lost Ark because I can tell it's models or even the real thing. I don't like the feeling that the special effects people think they pulled one over on me with their magic computers. They aren't. They never will... or at least not for a few years. Watching the extras on the Hellboy dvd, I praise Guillermo Del Torro. He is a make up man. Watching that film you'd think it was all CGI but the truth is most of the CGI was filler, like cars in the background. This is what CGI SHOULD be used for, for creating the extra bits to perfect your well thought out and composed shot. Not to create from the ground up.

    I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron makes 2 more Avatars and they become the next Star Wars. I wouldn't be surprise if the next generation grows up on it, instead of Star Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Navi Ranch and holes up in it to make super secret projects. I expect in 30 years he'll makes 3 prequels and people claim he's ruined the series with his newer, bigger, better CGI. I'm sorry but this man is Lucas2. I don't think I can handle it. I have enough problems with George Lucas, I don't need another running around making a crappy animated series to fund the remodeling of his kitchen. Some want to go back in time and stop Hitler... I'd like to go back and stop Lucas (and whoever made Tron). He unleashed a beast.

    Back on topic. You could tell that the Golden Globes was everyone versus Cameron. I was happy that Jason Reitman not only gave a nod to Tarantino but was genuinely confused that Tarantino didn't win. When later Cameron won his awards, Reitman and Tarantino didn't look to thrilled. These two directors (like them or not) rely on great acting and superb story telling to create their movies and succeed literally every time. They lost to $300 million in CGI and $200 million in advertising. They shouldn't feel bad, they should just want to go Kill Bill on Cameron's ass.

    The best parts of the night was Robert Downey Jr. and Jeff Bridges winning their awards. Downey's second but he probably was strung out during the first one and Jeff Bridges first despite being JEFF BRIDGES! Also I couldn't help but feel that Paul McCartney made a better joke than all of Ricky's combine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Costal,
    Paul, Costal, Thank You! Thank YOu! ThANK YOu!

    I thought I was the only person in the world. When I was done watching Avatar I said, "Wow, I could've of watched that on mute and it would have been a better experience." I called the whole film because it was like a saw it before in many other movies. The "symbolism" in it was so obvious that I can't believe James Cameron called it symbolism....

    I'm going to join you Costal in saying. I hate Avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, well said, sir...sincerely...Navi Ranch!!? LOL, but for real. Out of line on the Titanic comment, though, I jump, you jump, remember?

    Thanks Armani, I think a chorus is in order. And I am sorry I missed you during break. I had a tough few weeks...death in my family, no car, etc...so let's catch up soon.

    The Golden Globes are one thing, but I hope Oscar is wise to this jive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that Avatar leading now in international revenue is all because it was anti-American. The world despise us American swine, so this movie obviously would have the success it did internationally

    ReplyDelete