Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Successful Midterm Exam


Here's the Criticism Skeleton developed in class...following this plan will insure midterm success.

Paragraph One: Introduction: Be sure it is devisive (consider using an anecdote, narrative, specific example, quotation, allusion or other innovative approach) entertaing, previews your thesis and states it.

Paragraphs Two to Three: Background: Provide a brief synopsis of the film (I said BRIEF) and provide your reader proper information for any points you plan to develop to support your point. For example, if you want to say that It's a Wonderful Life is an indictment of the banking system of the 1930s, you MUST provide some context to that point. In other words, what was going in with the banking system at the time?

***Preliminary research and notes to make such a point can be developed overnight between the movie period and exam period.

 Paragraph Four to ?: Support: Use SPECIFIC reference and detail from the film to connect to your point. (In other words, if you are making a claim that Romero was using Night of the Living Dead to comment on the hopelessness of the civil rights movement in the wake of MLK's assination, point to Ben's death at the hands of a white militia, but also point to his struggles with Mr. Cooper and how he is forced to retreat into the basement. THEN connect it back to your theme!

3 comments:

  1. HOORAY!! I don't know if you know how thankful I am that you posted this!!
    Actually I have a question, Could I write a criticism for every movie I watch and bring it in to you? I doesn't have to be worth anything. I just want to get better at this and I think this will be the only way for me to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I agree with Camille, can I do a critique on all the movies and turn them in? I really just don't feel confident with my writing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dat's what I'm talkin about, this helps alot thanks nurse awesome

    ReplyDelete