Saturday, January 23, 2010

Help Haiti's Hunger

So I'm watching the Hope for Haiti live concert. Dad and I are sitting side by side, naming all of the actors and artists we see on screen. Matt Damon, Clint Eastwood, Nicole Kidman, ...even our very own Edward Cullen is hosting. We're watching all of the stories and footage from Haiti, and talking about how great it is that people are trying to do so much. Then my brother walks in. "Dad, have you donated yet?" No. Of course he hasn't. He says he's going to, but...I'm not going to press him. I'm smart enough to not piss him off about it (no matter how tempting it is to spam-text "GIVE" to that number, 50555, and totally jack up our cell phone bill to OVER 9000 dollars).

Random side-note: Hey look, it's Steven Spielberg.

...anyway. It really breaks my heart. I feel so helpless, and I hate that because I believe there is ALWAYS something you can do. I'm sitting here thinking how much I want to do something, anything, but I can't give money because I personally have none. Then I noticed the crawler at the bottom of the page "Your donation will benefit Oxfam America, partners in Health, Red Cross, UNICEF, United Nations World Food Programme...."

There. That's it. The World Food Programme. Now where have I seen that before?

A couple of years ago, I stumbled across this website called FreeRice.com. FreeRice is essentially a vocabulary game run by a non-profit organization. For each answer you get right, they donate 10 grains of rice through the UN's World Food Programme to help end hunger. And right now, the WFP is trying to help Haiti.

So...take 10 minutes out of your day and play!

(EDIT 1/23: Would have posted this last night, but...I fell asleep. Hah.)

3 comments:

  1. the freerice.com site is down - is there an alternate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great narrative, Lobos, also great idea. I am a fan of the site, but I am also going to share it with my AP class, maybe even use it with them in class.

    ReplyDelete