Sunday, January 4, 2009

Best films of '08!

So, I was reading a few top 10-lists the other day, when I decided to make my own, & then I thought it would be interesting for everybody to post their favorites from the year.
It doesn't have to be a top 10, or in order, or whatever.

10) IRON MAN- This movie exceeded my expectations in every possible way. Robert Downey Jr. was pitch-perfect and anchored the film in a completely unexpected way. A great way to kick off the summer of '08.
9) [REC]- As I've shared in class, this is simply one of the most frightening movies I've ever seen in my entire life. It's short, sweet, & unbelievably scary.
8) BURN AFTER READING- The Coen Bros. did it again with this hilarious farce. Frances McDormand, Brad Pitt, & George Clooney were hysterical.
7) RESERVATION ROAD- An incredibly difficult film to watch. Painful, tragic, and completely real. Joaquin Phoenix, Jennifer Connelly, & Mark Ruffalo were outstanding.
6) HELLBOY II: The Golden Army- Guillermo Del Toro's superb sequel to his under-seen 2004 film. Del Toro takes all of his elements from the first movie, and improves them.
5) SNOW ANGELS- Similar to Reservation Road, Snow Angels is a hard movie to watch. Emotionally devastating, heart wrenching, and not at all gimmicky. Kate Beckinsale and Sam Rockwell are spectacular.
4) IN BRUGES- A wonderful film marketed completely wrong. It's hilarious at times, but this poignant character study goes places the trailer doesn't even hint at. Colin Farrell gives his best performance to date.
3) FUNNY GAMES- Michael Haneke's remake of his own 1997 film is a brutal, unsettling art-house horror film. Tense, bleak, and uncomfortable, this film will stay with you for days. Featuring another incredible performance by Naomi Watts.
(It's a tie for the number 1 spot)
DOUBT- Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Amy Adams are astonishing in this amazing film. Rolling Stone's review was 100% correct: It had be pinned to my seat from start to finish. This is oscar-worthy material if I've ever seen it.
The DARK KNIGHT- I don't think there's much left to say about TDK that hasn't already been said. But it is a fantastic film. Thrilling, taut, intelligent and epic. Featuring excellent performances, including Heath Ledger's now-legendary take on the Joker.
(P.S-
I haven't seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Revolutionary Road, or Gran Torino yet, so my list could change)

6 comments: