Sunday, January 11, 2009

Doubt: Don't Doubt It - Go See It!


If you get a chance, go and see the film Doubt. I saw it on Saturday and was happy that I went to see it. The film pulls you in right away with a classic did-he-or-didn't-he setup. It has a great script by John Patrick Shanley, who actually wrote the play and directed this film, and awesome acting by Meryl Streep (as a Stalinistic and terrifying nun) and Philip Seymour Hoffman (a priest accused of molesting a boy). Streep's acting it so good it reminded me of a certain Sister Damien that was a principal at my grade school, and brought back some PTSD symptoms from my younger years!


The film is thought provoking and complicated, but it really left me wondering whether in the search for justice - does the ends justify the means? The film also explores doubt and certainty, not only in religion, but in many areas of life, and leaves you questioning everything.


3 comments:

  1. "Doubt" was incredible.
    It was very tense and fascinating, and, as Weisback mentioned, Meryl Streep knocks it out of the park.
    But it needs to be mentioned that Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams are JUST as great as Streep.
    But yes, it was extremely thought provoking and layered.
    The ending was very powerful, in a very subtle way, which was very appropriate for the type of film it was attached to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I have to say I hated this movie. I went with 3 of my friends, all of us looking forward to a great film. It was just SO drawn out, and had so much room left for improvement. It could have been MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazing. It just is so well made. The conflict wasn't what the movie was about. The church wasn't what mattered. It was about life and ideas and that's why it's so amazing. The ending was perfect, the cinematography was just so right, acting was superb, and it's drenched with symbolism. I loved it and I don't think this film could get any better. It deserves an Oscar or two.

    ReplyDelete