Thursday, January 15, 2009

the film and TELEVISION institute




Since no one ever seems to pay attention to the second half of what this institute is about, I figure I'd spark a discussion about TV shows. Just list your favorites, to start.

Clone High: Favorite, most short-lived cartoon ever. Only one season, 13 episodes, and each one is utterly hysterical. A show about a high school filled with clones of famous historical figures, such as Abraham Lincoln, Ghandi, Cleopatra, and Jesus. With a concept like this, along with the assistance of Bill Lawrence (creator of Scrubs,) it became a cult-classic with tons of quotability. Weeesleeeeeey.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K): A show which found its way to fame simply by making fun of bad, bad movies. While simple enough in concept, each episode of this show always managed to deliver. Even when there were drastic changes to the show's cast, it could always maintain it's appeal to everyone. Some of my favorite episodes from this show, like Space Mutiny, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, or Manos: The Hands of Fate, are still able to leave me in tears, even after multiple viewings. I'm also a little disappointed that we didn't manage to watch at least one episode last year, like we were told we would.

Flight of the Conchords: I really don't need much explanation for this one, as this show has become so absurdly popular now that I'm sure you all know about as much about it as I do. The musical/comedic genius of Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement has earned them worldwide recognition, and things only seem to be getting better for them. Every one of their songs can put a grin on my face while being memorable and different, something which takes tremendous talent. I can only hope that season two is as good their first, which was phenomenal.


also some worthy mentions:
South Park
Aqua Teen Hunger Force (earlier seasons)
The Simpsons
The Colbert Report
god i watch so many damn cartoons what am i eight


Anyway, your turn, F&TVI.

8 comments:

  1. of course, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia... but I can't go without mentioning Freaks and Geeks, created by Paul Feig and produced by Judd Apatow.. eighteen episodes were completed, but the series was canceled after only twelve had aired. I am sure it starred every character that stars in Apatow movies today: Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel, John Francis Daley, etc. ...Shia Laboeuf, Jason Schwartzman, Ben Stiller, Linda Cardellini (a.k.a. Velma from Scooby-Doo 2004).

    Another short-lived series worth mentioning is Cracking Up, which aired on Fox from march 2004 to may--created by the writer of School of Rock and starred Molly Shannon, Christopher McDonald, and Jason Schwartzman. I don't remember each episode all that well, but I am pretty positive that I literally peed my pants during each one. I wish I could watch it now, but they never released a DVD set and when I ask about it, no one knows wtf I'm taking about... Only my mom remembers this show D:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude you forgot for MSTK3000- Girl in Gold Boots and The Touch of Satan. The show is just so funny and quotable.

    As for my relationship with TV, it's been a bumpy one. During Sophomore year I was lucky enough to have cable in my room but eventually that all got messed up and I lost it. During that period of time I was only watching TV and not many movies. Now things have switched and I watch movies none stop and only get a good TV show from time to time. I really wish I could watch Psyche, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

    One show I do get to watch fairly often is Coupling, a British comedy that's featured On Demand. It's basically if you smashed Friends and Sex and the City in one because it's basically Friends if they were allowed to get away with more cursing on television since censorship in Great Britain is a bit laxer. It's a hilarious show that always makes you want to watch more. Like most British shows it only had a 4 year run but that's good because it ran it course with the main story it had and wasn't hanging around for 11 years searching for new material. It's so funny and quotable that you often find yourself in situations where you turn to a person start explain what a "giggle loop".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as Mama Cass is well aware, I am a diehard fan of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia".
    It's just plain hilarious. It's UN-PC crudeness and vulgarity never cease to amaze me, and leave me dying of laughter. The shallow, petty main characters are just so fascinating, and well played.
    It's also incredibly quotable ("Helloooo, sweet Prince!").

    Another one of my favorites is "30 Rock". First off, I'm in love with Tina Fey. Anything she touches is gold, IMO. And "30 Rock" is hysterical and smart. Filled with sharp, side-splitting dialogue, it's quickly become one of my top favorite shows on TV.

    I also love "Weeds" on Showtime, as well as "Dexter", "Family Guy", "South Park", and a few others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, FOTC season 2! first episode is on demand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lineup of TV shows that I regularly watch, but most of them are pretty useless unfortunately. In terms of overall quality, my favorite show by far is AMC's Mad Men. It's set against the backdrop of the early 1960s, a time that has always fascinated me. I'm a history freak anyway, so I jump at any chance I get to catch a glimpse of other time periods. The characters are very complex and the plots are dark. Every episode is a work of art. An added bonus is the verisimilitude of the time; one can't miss the rock and roll music, wardrobe, and actual historic events. While the characters are fictional, they always seem to react to real situations. For example, the subplot of the entire first season revolved around the Nixon/Kennedy election. I could keep gushing about the show but everyone should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this post and was like wow someone has really good taste in TV, and then I saw that you posted it and should have realized. Such amazing shows.

    That being said, How I Met Your Mother and Two And A Half Men are probably two of the greatest TV shows on, in my opinion. Both are comedic gold every time I watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, in response to your "ignoring TV" comment, I was planning a unit on Paul Feig which included a thorough viewing of some "F&G" episodes, so, ya know...nyah! Just got turned on to Clone High...pretty cool concept, but not to be an old drag, but I hate that Gandhi is so annoying.

    ReplyDelete