Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Actress gone Singer and Song Writer


She & Him



Interesting mix of a country folk artist M. Ward and the lovely actress Zooey Deschanel. During 2007 film Go-Getter director Martin Hynes asked for Zooey to sing a duet with Ward. The two recorded a well-recieved cover of Richard & Sarah Thompson's " When i Get to the Border" Later they reunited in Portland to work on Zooey's own material in Ward's studio. The two finally finished their album known as Volume One which has a few cover songs and originals that proves Zooey as a true singer and songwriter.

To me this mix has a definite country background but not so traditional. It sounds like a fusion of country and indie styles. This music is very very good, look for their album Volume one


  1. "Sentimental Heart" - 2:36
  2. "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?" - 2:31
  3. "This Is Not a Test" - 3:31
  4. "Change Is Hard" - 3:03
  5. "I Thought I Saw Your Face Today" - 2:50
  6. "Take It Back" - 2:37
  7. "I Was Made for You" - 2:31
  8. "You Really Got a Hold on Me" (Smokey Robinson) - 3:59
  9. "Black Hole" - 2:12
  10. "Got Me" - 2:46
  11. "I Should Have Known Better" (Lennon/McCartney) - 3:39
  12. "Sweet Darlin'" (Deschanel, Jason Schwartzman)- 2:41



12 comments:

  1. love this album! can't wait for volume two, lol


    p.s. scarlett johansson is having a go at the same thing, but w/ pete yorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. also czech out: Coconut Records, jason schwartzman's (copola's nephew!) solo gig

    http://www.youngbabyrecords.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Zooey!
    She's an awesome actress (minus her awful performance in "The Happening") and I remember seeing "Elf" back in...2004? & thinking she had a great voice...
    So, this is really cool & I think I'll look into it more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didnt think she was awful in the Happening, overall the performance of hers and Marky Mark was puprosely intended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought she had a good voice when she was singing with will ferrell in elf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think she is sooo cute as well, i would marry her...dibs

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think that guy from death cab beat you to it, haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Happening wasn't that bad... Err kinda. But I like Zooey too much to knock at it.

    I liked her in 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'

    The movie itself always made me a bit sleepy, but I like the beginning with the costume party- cute, cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Zander, did you read the book?

    ReplyDelete