Friday, October 23, 2009

Oh! You ARE sick!

I just finished my second director research paper this semester for my Moving Image Arts class on David Lynch. So I've decided to share with my (very) short synopsis of one one of his well-known films and a link to the film itself: "Eraserhead". 


Eraserhead” follows the intensely bizarre perspective of on man's surrealist nightmare. The film is set in the post-apocalyptic society of an industrial world where all apartment buildings seem practically abandoned and lighting fixtures always flicker on and off. We follow Henry Spencer as he attempts to cope with his soon-to-be-wife, her crazed parents, his radiator, and a beautiful woman next door.

After his girlfriend, Mary X, unexpectedly gives an early birth to their deformed mutant child, Henry is obliged to marry her. However, after Mary moves into Henry's apartment, their baby continues to cry uncontrollably and Mary flees in horror; leaving Henry alone to be consumed by insanity, masturbation worms, the want to kill, and the seduction of the “beautiful girl across the hall”.  







"Eraserhead" on Google Videos

7 comments:

  1. God... Eraserhead... such an odd film. It was great but... not my cup of tea I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in 8th grade, I watched about 15-20 mins of this...
    I don't think it's for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah i loved it so much! i lol-ed so many times... but for some reason, after i was finished watching it i felt really queasy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was funny is the aftermath... Spielberg, Scorsese and etc loved it. I think I enjoyed it but not necessarily loved it so much...where it gets funny is that Mel Brooks had the rights to elephant man and for Lynch to direct it he had to show Brooks a private screening of Erasershead brooks loved it lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey i wrote about that in my paper! lol... he didn't even want lynch at first, he wanted alan parker--stuart cornfeld was the one who talked him up. god bless him, it's a beautiful film!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY! we are learning about auteurs too!!! ...and you guys got the swine?

    ReplyDelete