Monday, October 5, 2009

America's Reply to Shaun of the Dead



(May contain spoilers although I tried to keep out as much as possible for those who haven't seen it. I think it's safe to read without ruining anything.)
ZOMBIELAND

Zombies, plus a "Natural Born Killer," a former "Adventureland" employee, a "Little Miss Sunshine," a "Superbad" cutie, and Bill Murray equals awesome, equals Zombieland. My apologies for being so forward but I needed to release the initial after-the-film amazement. After every Zombie film, I know I and many others think about our emergency zombie plan. This film is how I expect my emergency plan to be.

The film has four zombie survivors fighting their way through Zombieland. The four prevent from getting close by not revealing their names but calling each other by the places they are going or coming from, Columbus, Tallahassee, Little Rock, and Wichita. The film follows and is narrated by Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg). Columbus is a neurotic, geeky hermit. It is surprising that he survived up to the beginning of the film. Because of his fear of near everything, he has constructed rules to stay alive in Zombieland, the kind of rules that we all have created from pass zombie flicks. He later meets Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson), a man who has an infatuation with twinkies and zombie killing. He doesn't care much for getting close. Then comes in the love interest and her sister, Wichita (Emma Stone) and Little Rock (Abigail Breslin). The two turn out to be cunning ladies who have been hustling even before the zombie invasion. They con Columbus and Tallahasse, but naturally their paths intertwine again.

Zombieland doesn't have the witty English humor like Shaun of the Dead but like I said this is America's reply to the film. The film has the comical timing and quotable lines of a Superbad or a Knocked Up. It also had its quirky moments i.e. Bill Murray, twinkies, and random conversations in the car you'd have on a road trip. Zombieland's appeal is in how all these loner characters learn the meaning of humanity and human contact when the world has gone far from anything human. I haven't found meaning in most zombie films since Night of the Living Dead. I've always felt that many zombie films even the best ones were just replications of Night of the Living Dead with twist and such. (Excluding 28 Days Later and the post 9-11 feeling in the beginning of the film and Shaun of the Dead's mockery of the media and entertainment industries exploitation of disasters) Zombieland not only brought comedy to the zombie genre but was able to put forward a new message. The message was not so much about social change, politics, etc but it was a skewed mirror of our world. The survivor's were able to stay human by the human contact they shared. The human contact that doesn't involve a computer screen, sitting on the couch alone watching reruns of Family Guy, or a dinner table full of idle conversations and text messaging.

15 comments:

  1. Zombieland was quite a treat to see in theaters but it wasn't the 2nd coming like Shaun of the Dead. I was not originally going to see Zombieland in fear of it being too much like Shaun of the Dead, but once i heard about the Bill Murray cameo I couldn't pass up seeing it. The main difference between Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland is that Shaun of the Dead is a zombie movie with comedy and Zombieland is a comedy with zombies. Let me clarify this before I get attacked for having an opinion. Zombieland functions on all levels as a comedy between people and the zombies just are there for some brutalizing. The main plot isn't even about zombies (getting to an amusement park). Shaun of the Dead while a comedy, the story and comedy at large is based on the zombies. The movie wouldn't function with any other plot devise. Zombieland could have been about T-rexs coming back to life and killing people and it'd still work at the same level.

    Now in a response to the comment on meaning in zombie films. George A Romero's first three films are all about different things. Dawn of the Dead is a satire of consumerism. It also yields themes of The Lord of the Flies. Day of the Dead once again uses The Lord of Flies but focuses on how military might is actually an evil thing. With in both these films (also in Night and his later film Land of the Dead) racism is heavily explored. George A. Romero uses zombies differently every time and manages to express many political ideas. Outside of the world of Romero, Shaun of the Dead is actually about a similar thing as Zombieland. The social satire that we walk through our lives like zombies is pushed in our face during the opening sequence and later Shaun walks through his routine without noticing all of the horrific events. Shaun is about getting off the couch and see what's around you and not looking at the ground as you walk.

    I don't have much say about 28 Days Later but that's because I didn't care much for it. Maybe it was the fact that it looked like a made for TV British Scifi movie or maybe it was the fact that they were fast zombies. I'm a purist and zombies in my world are always slow. Of course there are two movies I haven't talked about, Braindead or Dead Alive for us Americans, and Evil Dead. I feel you could probably pull many themes about family out of Dead Alive among other things but I haven't seen it in quite a while. Evil Dead of course is more for our entertainment but once again if I didn't just watch it for the fact that it's one of the best movies ever and dove into the themes, I could unlock some pretty cool things..... but why ruin Evil Dead with intellectual studies. Some movies should be for our entertainment only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, Very well said...Well I PERSONALLY have no problem with Fast Zombies, I agree with most of what you said. "Shaun of the Dead" is a perfect movie, and though I doubt "Zombieland" will top it, I'm still exctied. I really can't wait to see it, been waiting for it since it was announced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PAUL I was ready for this :)!
    Lol Paul I knew you were going to be the first to reply :)
    I said Zombieland was "America's reply," when I said this it was more meant to get a feel for what the film was like. Zombieland is that same form of comedy coming out today. As for the George A Romero realm I didn't get into that as much as I should have and I knew you were going to bring it up, but I agree with your points. I should have incorporated the other parts of the Night of the Living dead series with that part. As for your response I agree with most of it and knew your response because you are way more of a zombie fan then myself. I never bashed the other zombie films though. I like them for just entertainment. I think what you and another big zombie fan I talked to expected a zombie film, like you said it was a comedy with zombies. I agree with you but where you didn't feel to much for it I enjoyed it. Maybe I'm not enough of a zombie fan because I talked to my friend and she is a big fan like you and had the same qualms with it. When dealing with zombies i guess it needs to follow these specific guidelines for the ardent fans. Its not a zombie film.


    As for the entertainment thing I agree with that, but my film classes out here have messed with the way I watch films. I still get entertainment out of films but these film classes make me look into racial-agenda, gender, explicit, implicit, referential, symptomatic meanings, etc way too much. I had to do this with Rush Hour and other films I just use to watch for entertainment. Point is I don't think a film is bad because of lack of meaning nor did I ever say that. I enjoy many films without underlying messages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you Armando. Rush Hour? Wow. Certain films need to be just for entertainment only. I watched so many "best movie evers" that I sat down and watched two Jackie Chan movies so I could clear my head for a while. I have to say I enjoyed Zombieland. It focused on the survival rules which is something most zombie movies don't. In most others you get the shot them in the head rule and the kill any one who's bitten but you don't get into the really small things. It was a great movie but I don't hold it up to the level of Shaun of the Dead. No need to retype my response from last time. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen Dance of the Dead it's like a Disney original zombie movie lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Jesse Eisenburg isn't becoming the poor man's Michael Cera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. he's more neurotic than awkward/sarcastic then micheal cera

    ReplyDelete
  9. but i hope he doesn't get stuck in that neurotic role

    ReplyDelete
  10. ps
    finally saw adventure land and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. James are you mocking me, or did you not even know I made the "poor man's Michael Cera" comment in class?

    As for Paul and Armani...you guys make me proud to have played a tiny role in turning you into the monster you are. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. couldn't have done without you guys and the film institute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I NEVER LEFT THE FILM INSTITUTE COSTAL

    i've been there all along

    ReplyDelete
  14. Costal you made me the monster I am. You are my Dr. Frankenstein. If the film institute had not been made, I would have never realized how passionate I am about film and would currently be majoring in theater. The summer assignment you gave us will always be one of the most important papers I've ever been assigned.

    ReplyDelete